- MyRight is looking for Gender and Disability specialist
- Välkommen till inspirerande seminarium på internationella FN-dagen!
- ”Yesterday I achieved one of my dreams” – Rasanjli Pathirage
- Se MyRights ordförande Görans film om teckenspråk i världen!
- MyRight skriver till Stefan Löfvén
- MyRights Generalsekreterare Tiina Nummi-Södergren kommenterar Sidas nyhet om insatsen i Syrien
MyRight is looking for Gender and Disability specialist
Closing date: 20th March
MyRight is a member-owned organisation with 23 Swedish disabled persons organisations (DPOs) with head office in Stockholm. The member organisations conduct partnership development projects with their equivalent sister organisations in seven programme countries. Our programme countries are Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Rwanda, Tanzania, Nicaragua and Bolivia. MyRight has offices in all these countries which are ran by a local country coordinator. In each country there are also specific projects for advocacy on national level where all partners participate.
MyRight’s focus is to strengthen DPOs in these countries when it comes to advocacy, organisational development, networking and independent living for their members. MyRight work with the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities as a base and apply a human-rights based approach to its work.
MyRight is now aiming to roll out a training module on gender equality across the organisation during 2017 and 2018 to enhance the knowledge and competencies amongst staff and partner organisations.
We now seek a consultant to design the foundation of this initiative during 2017.
About the assignment
The main focus of the consultancy is to design a training module on gender equality and inclusion which should be used for MyRight staff and our member organisations in 2017 and then later for our partner organisations during 2018. The assignment includes developing user friendly workshop tools and materials which can be used and/or adapted for all target groups. The consultant is expected to conduct a two day training with MyRight staff (head office and country office) in Sweden during the last week of September 2017 and a one day training with MyRight member organisations during the autumn of 2017.
At the end of the training participants should have an understanding of what gender is, how gender correlates to disability, specific themes relating to gender and disability as well as increased competencies to conduct gender analysis and the ability to make project cycles gender sensitive and inclusive. The purpose of the training of staff and member organisations is to enable support to partner organisations during the second cycle of the initiative in 2018 when the same training is to be rolled out across partner organisations in MyRight’s programme countries.
The second focus of the consultancy is to develop a strategy for mainstreaming gender equality, aimed at increasing gender inclusive practices and programming within MyRight’s operations.
The expert is expected to design and prepare a training module that can be used for staff, member organisations and partner organisations and its contents in close dialogue with MyRight’s head office.
The following should be considered:
- Partner organizations needs and nature of work; It could be understood through discussions at minimum of one Skype meeting with each of seven country coordinators in our programme countries. It can also be understood through short survey of staff, partner organizations and member organizations.
- Respect for accessibility needs of persons with visual, hearing, physical and intellectual impairments.
- An understanding of MyRight’s programme and working model which will be given during the inception phase.
- Allow MyRight staff and member organizations to provide feedback on the strategy for mainstreaming of gender equality.
- The training module should as a minimum include a component of awareness-raising consisting of general introduction to gender equality, context of gender and disability, introduction to gender-based violence, access to rights for women with disabilities, UNCRPD and gender, gender equal participation in monitoring of rights under the UNCRPD. It should also include a component of competence-building consisting of introduction to gender analysis, how to conduct gender analysis, integration of gender equality in projects, and monitoring of gender equality.
The 2017 training for staff is expected to be held over two days in Sweden during the last week of September. Additional one day training for member organizations will also be arranged in Sweden during autumn.
The following qualifications are required:
- A degree in a discipline that is relevant to international development cooperation, gender, disability rights, human rights.
- A minimum of three years professional experience in working with disability and development of which at least three years working on disability and gender through a rights based approach.
- Proven track record of working with disability rights in developing countries, particularly disabled people’s organizations.
- Proven track record of working on gender equality in a development context
- Strong knowledge in tools development and PMEL
- Proven ability to produce demonstrable results through workshops and trainings
- Proven experience of working with persons with various accessibility needs and to design trainings and tools accordingly
- Analytical skills in gender issues and ability to provide well-grounded, quality analytical inputs with pragmatism and a focus on results.
- Experience in providing quality strategies
- Ability to travel to perform potential necessary follow up
- Computer literacy; and the ability to provide tools and training materials and strategy in English
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity to gender and disability issues as well as ability to adapt materials to cultural contexts.
- Spanish is a merit
Time frame for the consultancy:
The consultancy is expected to take place between April and October 2017. Inception phase will be during April. Between May and September the training module and the strategy will be designed and drafted. The consultancy will conclude with the training of MyRight staff and member organizations during autumn.
How to apply: Please send your C.V. and proposal to email@example.com and use the job title ‘Gender and Disability Expert’ as the subject. Please submit your application before March 20th 2017.